My favorite ToW mission—reminiscent of the plots of some WW2 movies.
Theater of War Mission Pack: The Southern Fronts
Difficulty Level: General
Commander: None—this is a special solo mission.
You’re playing as Germany here, and your task is to blast your way into a fortress the Russians have occupied. You have snipers, grenadiers, and pioneers with demo charges, to start.
There must be a lot of different ways to play it, but a winning strategy I have used goes as follows:
- Move around to the right of the fort and attack from there. (You can nab a scout car during your approach if you want, but you’ll have to kill about 3 Russian infantry squads to get away with it. Also note munitions boxes scattered around in the dark.)
- You kill the infantry outside the wall, mostly with your snipers and LMG-grens, then you use your pios to set a charge at the entrance and blow it. Then you run inside and use snipers from afar, grens and a captured HMG from medium-range, and pios with flamethrowers at short range, to take out most of the infantry within—kill the HMG, commissar squad, and Guards Rifle squads first, and in that order. Take the territory point inside the base. At a certain point the remaining Russian squads will flee.
- There will be 5 Russian counter-attack waves. Use a bunker-HMG and regular HMG to cover the right-side entrance. Ditto for the left-side entrance, where your HMG crew can be in the nearby building, and bunker in the yard beside it. Leave the roadways clear for the tanks.
- Use your grens, sniper(s), and flamer-pios to kill pinned infantry. Bring in a flamer-251 to help with the first wave, which usually comes through the right entrance. Flamethrowers are by far the quickest way to kill Russian infantry, though some of their units are buffed so much that they seem nearly unkillable.
- During wave 2 you will start to see tanks, initially two T-70s which are ridiculously hard to kill. Before that wave, be sure to bring in a StuG, and repair/man the T-34. After that, bring in two Pak-40s, and bring in another StuG, in that order. Should be all you need: a Pak and a StuG covering each entrance, plus the T-34 to help wherever needed.
- Set your forces well back from the entrances, and watch out for the openings in the wall that allow sniper-fire or tossed grenades.
- Mines you lay at entrances will be detonated randomly by gunfire so are likely to destroy only the first squads in. Demo charges are more controllable and will come in handy in wave 5 against the two KV-2s that visit, one through each entrance. You should be able to handle the Russian T-34/85s in wave 4 without demo charges.
- At some point, I think wave 3, you’ll be able to capture a 120mm mortar. Place it in the center of the base and let it auto-fire to flatten attacking infantry—it will also damage Russian tanks that stay in one place.
- German AT power is heavily nerfed here. HMGs also are nerfed in effect—in later waves the Russians seem to become more and more immune to machine gun fire. Also the CPU reduces visibility during attacks with smoke and blizzards. Thus you won’t always be able to keep the enemy from coming in and running amok, so try to have a reasonably mobile defense.